After acceptance each student must:
1. Submit completed medical examination forms (at student expense) that provide evidence the student is free of communicable disease and chemical dependency, and is physically and psychologically able to participate fully in both classroom and clinical aspects of the program. The nursing faculty reserves the right to require at any time (at student expense) an additional medical examination in order to evaluate the student's state of physical, mental, and/or emotional health such as during pregnancy, infectious diseases, interference with mobility, emotional instability, chemical dependence, etc. When an examination or treatment is required, written proof must be provided by the physician attesting to the student's ability to carry out both classroom and clinical requirements of the program. NOTE: Northwest-Shoals Community College reserves the right to remove from the program any student who is refused use of facilities by clinical agencies.
2. Meet the Alabama College System Nursing Program Essential Functions with or without reasonable accommodations since the nursing curriculum includes direct patient care. These functions relate to physical, mental, and emotional capabilities of prospective students. Additional health criteria are required by clinical agencies.
3. Purchase regulation uniforms and specified accessories.
4. Possess current certification in cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) from the American Heart Association at the health care provider level (BCLS). Community CPR is not acceptable. If a student is not certified with the appropriate CPR, the student may take EMS 100 Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation I. This course meets the CPR requirement for two years.
5. Receive certain immunizations at the student's expense.
6. Purchase professional liability insurance through the College.
7. Participate in and pay for periodic standardized testing.
8. Complete drug testing (both yearly, random, and/or for cause at student's expense) as directed by Health Studies Division. Further information in writing regarding required drug testing is available from the Health Studies Division.
9. Prior to registering for first semester of nursing school, complete background check. These fees will be at the students' expense.